History and Development of Traffic Lights

Internet Gratis - With its development, the traffic lights created by Lester Farnsworth Wire, on December 9, 1868 with the first time without using electricity, the gas-powered traffic lights were on. Installed outside the Parliament Building in London to control traffic on the Bridge road, Great George road and Parliament road. Promoted by railroad engineer John Peake Knight and built by railroad signal engineers from Saxby. The combined design of these three signal pole groups with red and green lights is used at night, which is attached to a pillar, which is operated by a police officer.

The manual gas stove is controlled by a traffic police officer, with a lever on the base so that the traffic light can turn on. Although it was said to be successful in controlling traffic, the operational life of this traffic light was very short because of the incident that occurred at that time. Exploded on January 2, 1869, as a result of a leak in one of the gas lines below the sidewalk, injuring or killing police in operation. With doubts about security, this concept was abandoned until electrical signals became available.

In 1912 for the first time an electric traffic light signal was developed again by Lester Wire, a policeman in Salt Lake City, Utah. The method used is still the same, namely by using red and green lights. August 5, 1914, the American Traffic Signal Company installs traffic signals on a 105 East corner of the road and Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio, using two-color, red and green traffic lights, and a bell. This design was created by James Hoge, as a sign to give a color change warning.

This design is an anticipation for road users, especially to allow police and fire fighters to signal traffic lights during emergencies. Around 1920 the first four-way method with three-color traffic lights was created by a policeman, William Potts. Ashville, Ohio claims to be the oldest traffic light spot in the United States, used at a public crossroads from 1932 to 1982 when it was moved to a local museum.

Disclaimer

This page contains user generated content.

My Gothic Past Login | Register

© 2019 Trinity College Dublin